Mad Men Returns With Controversy In New York City

by Norm Gregory on March 4, 2012

in Television

As I noted in January AMC’s Mad Men is back this month. Season 5 debuts with a two-hour premiere on Sunday, March 25th.

The opening credits shot of the falling Mad Man is being used in the advertising campaign in New York . . . and is a problem for those sensitive to such an image.

More from the BBC World Service Newshour.

[haiku url="http://normgregory.com/Newshour_04Mar12_MadMen.mp3" title="Newshour, 04 Mar 12, Mad Men"]

And in other Mad Men News . .

Jon Hamm Explains Injuries From ‘Mad Men’ Set (Video)
The actor tells how he broke his hand, got eight stitches in his head and separated his shoulder on the set of AMC’s seemingly unadventurous advertising office. ● More: Hollywood Reporter

‘Mad Men’ Unzips Christina Hendricks’ Season 5 Promo (Exclusive Video)
On the heels of Don and Roger, AMC declares “Joan is back” in the latest spot for the series’ March 25 return. ● More: Hollywood Reporter

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Dan Packard March 5, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I luv the Beeb. Such great news writing and interviews. Spectacular quality too. Jolly good!

And, I’m looking forward to seeing more of Joan in the new Mad Men. A truly tip-top show.

2 Norm Gregory March 5, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I have been a listener of the BBC World Service’s Newshour for years. First on the radio, then on the web, then I bought for an Audible subscription. But now it’s a free download and you can subscribe via iTunes (for free). It comes in twice a day: 60 minutes of solid world news and they have folks all over the U.S. •• I remember chatting with a BBC World Service correspondent outside the Cobain house on the fateful day in April 1944. •• World news coverage by U.S. news outlets is hit and miss . . . if you’d like daily coverage search for ‘BBC World Service Newshour’ in the iTunes store and click on the green icon. Or just click here.

3 Dan Packard March 5, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Yes, I started listening on shortwave back in the eighties. Outlook with John Tidmarsh was very memorable — a half hour, fast-paced show with interviews around the world.

Great idea to simply download the latest Newshour podcast. I wonder how quickly they post after the newscast runs (at 1 am & pm p.s.t., i think)?

4 Norm Gregory March 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I am listening, at this moment, to the 1400 GMT Newshour. It came into my iTunes at 7:44 AM PST (about 3 hours before I get up . . .haha). Doing the math . . .1400 GMT is 6:00 AM PST. So I got it 44 minutes after the 1400 cast finished.

The next Newshour happened at 2100 GMT (1:00 PM PST). So I should have it in my iTunes podcast folder in about half an hour.

5 Dan Packard March 5, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Ah, I see. The shows are live at 6a & 1p our time and then about 45 min after finish, available for download (lets just say by 8a and 3p). Of course that will all change next week when we set our clocks ahead or behind one hour. I can’t remember which. Mind boggling to keep up with the world . . . Thanks for the info.

6 Norm Gregory March 5, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Wait a sec . . . are we going back to daylight time soon? Already?

The best/easiest thing to do is subscribe to the Newshour podcast in iTunes (or in some other podcast app) and forget about it. The Newshours will show up when they show up!

7 Dan Packard March 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I set my iTunes to Manual a few years ago ’cause it was downloading huge files when I’ws on a slow connection. Will check out “auto” again.

Yeah, the time change is making Mad Men out of us all. Why can’t we just keep the clock the same all year?

8 Norm Gregory March 5, 2012 at 4:58 pm

A little later this afternoon.

The 2100 GMT Newshour arrived in the my iTunes at 3:45 PM PST.